Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Knowing Christ: A Question for Praying People

I have a question for people who would consider themselves practicing Christians. It really doesn't matter which denomination (I don't think). Let's say you have, as part of your regular prayer list, a section for People Who Don't Know Christ. What does this mean, exactly?

I ask because it appears that Hubby and I have landed on this section of someone's prayer list, and we're not sure why. We go to church, we actively look for opportunities to be involved in church and the community, we teach our children about God and prayer, and we genuinely believe in Christ and do our best to live according to basic Christian principles: love people, love God. The person who put us on their list is a relative of mine and knows these things about us, so we're both a bit confused and slightly hurt that this person is under the impression that we don't know Christ. I'm sure the intentions were completely good and that it can't hurt to have someone praying on your behalf.....but what does it mean?

4 comments:

L said...

that is very confusing to me (a practicing Christian)... I would never add church-going folks to a list with that title! And why she would make her list public is also beyond me...

(sorry if my comment is not as helpful as you'd expect)

AcadeMama said...

Lilian: Sorry, I should have clarifed. The list isn't public. I was visiting relatives recently and casually picked up what I thought was a book on implementing the word of God in your daily life (i.e. practical applications). I realized quickly that it was a bible when the pages fell open at a pamphlet that described how to pray for various people (the sick, those in power, those struggling with addictions, etc.). Next to the People Who Don't Know Christ section, mine and Hubby's names were penciled in. I immediately put the bible back on the table, but I've been thinking about this ever since...

Anonymous said...

Ok, so we'll appeal to my grandmother here because she isn't sure my uncle "knows Christ" even though he attends church and is by outward signs a believer.

For her, the issue of her lack of certainty is primarily about how he "wears" his faith. He doesn't talk about his faith. He's very private about it. He doesn't take or share prayer requests. He doesn't bring up "the Lord" and he prefers not to pray out loud in front of a group.

Now, I've basically revealed what I think, which is that the man is private about his faith and that's all there is to it. For her, these are signs he isn't totally sure and/or that he goes to church because it's the thing to do but he doesn't really *know* Jesus as personal lord and savior.

Attending the wrong sort of church or belonging to the wrong sort of denomination would lead her to the same conclusion, actually.

So that's her. I bring her up because she's the sort of person to have a list like that.

Lilian said...

hmmm... that's in her private list. Well... I really don't know what I'd think of it. Anastasia's explanation about her grandma makes a lot of sense. Maybe your relative just has a very specific view of "People who know Christ" and you and hubby just don't fit in it like A said.

P.S. I'm glad I thought about coming back and checking other comments to this post!