Friday, December 08, 2006

Relactation Efforts - Day 1

Well, within 24 hours, Baby has already managed to mangle and bloody the nipples again. She is still not getting enough of the bottom of the areola in her mouth, which results in her pinching the nipple right through the middle. I went to see the local lactation consulatant, who supervised our nursing and couldn't believe the baby had already done some damage. She gave me a Rx for Reglan - not so good. After just two pills (I have to take 4 a day), I was hit with nasea, dizziness, and drowsiness. In addition to the Reglan, I'm supposed to take 2 pills 4 times a day of both Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle (herbs to help with milk production). She advised me to go ahead and buy some nipple shields and a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) until my milk comes back. She also said, after watching the baby nurse, that she thinks I should start seeing drops in a few days, and as long as baby will nurse and is getting formula from the SNS, there shouldn't be any need to use a pump. I will only need to resort to the pump if baby stops nursing.

However, after talking it over with my husband and feeling the pain of the latch-on problem again, I've realized that one option might just be that baby won't get the hang of this, and to save the nipples, I'll have to rely on the pump alone... For now, I'm continuing the Reglan and we're going to get the nipple shields tomorrow. If they work - AND I PRAY THEY DO - then I shouldn't be in pain any more, and baby can continue nursing away until the milk comes back. We'll see how it goes!

No comments: