Thursday, December 21, 2006

Yay for me!

I just found out that I received an $800 Liberal Arts award for completing my preliminary exams ahead of schedule! I didn't even know such a thing existed, but I'm happy to have it, and it will certainly come in handy...

Double yay! I just got back from a fabulous meeting with my committee chair, who informed me that my proposal is ready to go to OGS (Office of Grad. Studies)! She also gave me a much needed boost of confidence in my project by explaining what features make it so unique and interesting (I look at texts from ballads, bank books, and gambling records to domestic advice books, drama, and early novels). Considering the fact that she's a Distinguished Professor in our department, and one of the most published and respected members of the faculty, I'm grateful for any little kernel of praise she stoically throws my way. Now I can relax a bit and enjoy these last few weeks of alone time with the baby before she goes to daycare in January...I positively won't do any dissertation work during that period!

4 comments:

supadiscomama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to my 18th c. blog! It was part of a course and a lot of fun to build.

Congratulations on all of your successes of late. I can't believe you are in grad school with kids, must be a lot of work. But fun too.

See you around...

supadiscomama said...

Oops. I meant, congratulations, Academama! A very nice surprise indeed :)

wwwmama said...

Congratulations! Money falling from the sky like that is rare and means you're doing something right! It gives me hope that things can come out of nowhere to pick our depressed dissertating asses off the floor to keep going. Enjoy your time with baby.